Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dollar Store DIY: Studded Shadow Frame

Dollar Store DIY: Studded Shadow Frame
Hey Y'all!  Today I'm sharing a project I am just plum tickled over!  I grabbed a few things in the dollar store without a clue of what I was going to do with them & when I went to work on them, this just kind of happened.  Love those moments!
 1- Grab these items from your local Dollar Tree.
(or similar items from wherever you please)
2- Take that boring blonde wood frame to a new level by liberally applying a coat of paint!  
No need to be neat!
3- That paint you just applied?  Rub it in with an old cloth for a stained effect.
4- Cover up that sweet little rainbow with a few coats of paint!
(If you don't have a steady hand to paint around the edges, just tape over the edges and go crazy.)
Looking better already, right?
 5- Pin the thumbtacks into the wood around the entire frame.
  I didn't line mine up perfectly because I'm okay with a little imperfection!
6- Grab a roll of tape to create a stripe pattern. 
To get even stripes, lay your strip of tape down and secure it.  Lay the second strip down and just press lightly at each end.  Once your third strip is down and secured in place, move the second strip down under the third one and so on and so forth.
7- Once all of your tape is secure, get to painting your stripes!
I did two coats.
8- Pull all of your tape strips off & then touch up any boo-boos! 
You can't belive how much better this thing is looking can you?  Me either!
9- Now set it aside and go dig in your desk drawer for one of those handy dandy paper/binder clips.
Now, you could certainly leave it plain, but I wanted to jazz it up a little so I decided to paint and glitter it.  I started off with craft paint but quickly figured out that spray paint was the way to go
10- Give your clip a few sprays of paint, let it dry a bit and then paint the body of your clip with glue and sprinkle over with the glitter.
11- Once everything is dry, hot glue your fancy schmancy clip onto the newly striped back of your frame...
and you're done!
Now clip whatever your heart desires in there & find a perfect space on your wall to hang it!  I went with a leaf to bring the outdoors in a little, but completely plan on changing it up as much as my heart desires!
Love notes, reminders, photos, a countdown... the possibilites are endless!

linked:
Button


12 love notes:

  1. This is SO cute & cool! I love this idea! ... definitely something I can do with my daughter or nieces when they're old enough! LOVE it and love that it's super affordable too! Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great!! Love the stripes and studs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and creative! I love it. I'm hoping to redecorate my room soon, and this post has definitely inspired me to make some DIY frames just like this one. Thanks for sharing the awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is fantastic! I think I need to head to the dollar store this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very creative and cute! Love your style and thriftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love the stripes. It finished it off so nicely.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable! I so have to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea, it turned out great! Hey, I'd be thrilled if you came by and linked up to the Head to Head Showdown at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com, it's going on right now!

    ps - I LOVE your blog header!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so darn adorable, luv it.
    This is really kewl, Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting weekend!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ultra cute idea - I do love a good shadow box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Fiddle Faddle looks DELICIOUS and your Dollar Store Pic Transform is DARLING!!! I'm so impressed!!!

    I'm your newest follower and would LOVE to have you visit and follow me sometime soon, too!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! I love it!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-28.html

    ReplyDelete

You've always been my favorite... don't tell the others!